Saturday, April 28, 2012

Coaching Volleyball at Valley High School

I am really excited to announce that I am currently coaching a high school sport, a sport that I absolutely love and enjoy playing, which is the game of volleyball. I played volleyball ever since I was in the third grade and continued to play throughout my middle and high school career. Being a coach for the sport is quite an experience. I have been coaching for almost a month and the students are progressing really well. Of course, I was extremely nervous the first day of coaching just as I was with teaching my first English class at Oceanside High School. I found it necessary to take what I learned so far in the teaching credential program and apply what I have learned to coaching. After all, coaching is teaching. For the first day, I wanted to observe what my student athletes knew about the game, so I instructed them to play right off the bat with no rules. Based on skill level, I had a number of beginners and a few early intermediate players. From that point, I determined what I wanted students to learn and thought of my game plan in regards to coaching.  Observing what the students knew was my first assessment. From that first assessment, I determined that my student athletes need to not only work on skills of the game of volleyball, but also understand how the game of volleyball is played as is the case with all sports.  Since this is my first time coaching a sport, I have a lot of things to learn about being a coach. The more experience I will gain, the more better I will become as I add to my craft. This goes the same with teaching.

Coaching or Teaching is like riding a bike:

Imagine you want to learn how to ride a bike.

If you are terrified of cycling, you may need a THERAPIST to help you discover all the blocks and traumas from your past that have kept you from riding.
If you lack knowledge of cycling, you may need a CONSULTANT to provide technical information about bicycles, their features, how to use them, and maybe even how to be “ergonomically correct” when you ride a bicycle.
If you don’t know how to ride a bike, a MENTOR will actually climb on the bike right in front of you and show you how to ride it.
But if you are drawn to cycling and ready to ride, a COACH/TEACHER will stand by you as you get on the bicycle, help keep you steady as you discover your balance, cheer you on, give you a little push from behind when you need it, run along beside you with encouragement, and then let go so you can do it on your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment