Monday, May 7, 2012

Teaching Credential: Hope for the Future

I am excited to announce that I have already applied for my credential. I am extremely excited to start on the job hunt. I am looking forward to that first day of school when I have my own classroom. Having conversations with the teachers I have met so far just makes me even more excited to see what the future has in store for me. One of my cooperating teachers gave me words of wisdom about the teaching profession that just resonated with me, which I know most have probably heard before. She said, "Teaching is a craft." Immediately, I thought of craft as in craft in arts. I can see why teaching is like art, however, it did not connect with me. Not knowing what she meant by this, I searched  the phrase using Google and came across one teacher's website that could not have explained it any better. The "craft" metaphor likens teaching to a potter working at the wheel with clay. Through the master craftsman's sense of "feel," the potter knows whether to add more water or clay, precisely when the object is nearing completion and what additional work is yet required, or whether to recognize that this particular object is a failure and that it's time to start over. This metaphor also likens teaching to a chef de cuisine, a person who is able to transform ordinary groceries and kitchen staples into a feast. Gazing upon the ingredients, a chef de cuisine organizes a menu, works with the groceries and kitchen staples, andin what appears to be a seamless transition from raw materials to six-coursespresents a feast that is as dazzling for the eye to behold as it is for the palate to savor. Not to be overlooked, however, is how in the middle of the process a chef de cuisine oftentimes will make subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle adjustments to the ingredients as environmental conditions intervene and threaten to turn one's first course, entree, or dessert into a disaster. Like these craftsmen, good teachers also have a "feel" about what they need to do if they are to translate their pedagogical intentions and plans into positive learning outcomes. The basic problem student teachers encounter, however, is that good teacherslike master craftsmenhave the "feel" down cold and are able to anticipate where matters are headed before they conspire to destroy one's work. Good teachers attend to cues in the classroom environment. For example, if a lesson is progressing well, good teachers continue along the pathway charted. But, when good teachers intuit that something in the classroom environment has the potential to derail instruction and learning, these teachers adjust accordingly so as to keep instruction and learning securely on track. My teaching craft is a working progress. It needs plenty of more work. The more experience I will gain with teaching, the more things I am able to add to my craft.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I really loved this post! Thank you so much for writing about this. It's interesting how so much stuff happens in our Clinical Practice and yet certain words of wisdom will impact us. I remember one of the teachers last semester told me that teaching will go like this: In the first year you'll say teaching is hard. In the second year, you'll say it's hard but it's fun. In the third year, you'll say it's fun but it's hard. He told me not to get too down on myself when things go wrong because every day you will build up tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete